• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 220
  • Views 18K
  • Watchers 4
Yeah, that was great. Something to look forward to on Sunday nights now

MV5BMjMzMTIzMTUwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjE0NTg0MTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
It was good but not entirely sold on it. Billy Bob Thornton's character is great but the rest feel too close to their movie counterparts. Freeman is only short of changing his name to William H. Macy. Could go either way.

It seemed kinda not quite right. Martin Freeman was badly cast in the first instance. The rest of it just seemed kinda cheap. BBT was dialing it in too I felt. The only scene I found interesting was the last scene with BBT and the cop but then it was also somewhat predictable if you'd seen the ads for the show. It's 10 episodes so it could turn out to be amazing but if you're going to make a TV off the cachet of a fantastic film you'd wanna make sure you have your act together. Worst thing I can say about it, it felt like a Sky One production in lots of places.

I felt that it managed very quickly to move away from the film. Which is vital since the film is perfect in form and tone. Everything after the scene in the Hospital waiting room stood very much it's own. If anything it's Cohen bros touchstones seemed to be Blood Simple or No Country For Old Men. I liked Freeman and Thornton though I've a feeling they may be either slightly peripheral in the coming episodes or in Freeman's case his character may become unrecognisable from where he starts out, I mean in one episode he pretty much goes from gormless to conniving, so anything is possible.

Enjoyed it, never felt it was flat or cheap, looking forward to the next episode.

WHAT ABOUT THE FEMALE CHARACTERS?

Frankly, it was racist. Where were the Maoris?

Slate better have an essay on this.

WHAT ABOUT THE FEMALE CHARACTERS?

Frankly, it was racist. Where were the Maoris?

Slate better have an essay on this.

Why is every woman in Fargo pregnant ?

By Emily Nausiatingbaum

Fargo premiered over the weekend and while one could be persuaded to give the show a "cool girl" pass for it's obvious misogyny. Sure the central figure in the show would seem to be a strong and intelligent woman, but the show still portrays her as a gossip and in need of guidance from a senior male officer. I mean seriously do we really need a scene in which the patriarchal relationship between the police chief and his subordinate is so obvious and ham fisted ? "Did you check the trunk ?" he says in a calm and patient demeanour which we can only read as patronising and utterly misogynist

Thou it may get kudos, as indeed the film on which it's based did for the "strong female lead", this is still a show which reinforces the stereotype of women as simply vessels for the gestation of children and that during pregnancy women behave as unreasonable and unpredictable. Firstly we're confronted with the pregnant lady who wants to "get on her husbands insurance" which reinforces so many gender stereotypes it's not even funny and then later in the episode the pregnant wife of the sheriff even goes as far as insisting that the white walls of the future nursery be painted white. I mean c'mon Ditsy much ?

Fargo presents a ridiculous version of pregnancy and women and is deserving of derision for that alone. As for Mrs Nigaard ? don't even get me started, suffice to say Fargo portrays women as almost biblical tropes of either life giving breeding cattle or misanthropic selfish and greedy essentially Eves sent to lead men astray.

In short this is another piece of shit, which I hate because it's not about me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

Second episode was grand. I'm clearly not as into it as the rest of ye (Scientician aside). It still feels like a knock off of the film but without the same charm that made the film work so well. Even when they're trying to be weird, it seems safe because you know it's going to be a bit weird because the film was a bit weird but in the film. It feels like this is an all right TV series being given a bit more kudos than it deserves because it essentially borrows the title and the ideas from a film we all like. Plus it seems like the plot is already being stretched out which bodes badly for the remaining 8 episodes.

Second episode was grand. I'm clearly not as into it as the rest of ye (Scientician aside). It still feels like a knock off of the film but without the same charm that made the film work so well. Even when they're trying to be weird, it seems safe because you know it's going to be a bit weird because the film was a bit weird but in the film. It feels like this is an all right TV series being given a bit more kudos than it deserves because it essentially borrows the title and the ideas from a film we all like. Plus it seems like the plot is already being stretched out which bodes badly for the remaining 8 episodes.

Do you like Hannibal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back