What movie did you watch last night? (10 Viewers)

Crawl. Australian crime/drama. It's ok, passes time, when not much on telly. Good few plot holes/parts where wonder, wtf??? so say 4.5/10.

I watched Independence Day..well it was on while I was doing stuff

I used to like it as a popcorn fun movie but every time I watch it I like it less and less. The "USA, USA , our president will save the day" stuff is just nauseating and the pompous soundtrack..and will fucking smith

gah

shite

I used to like it as a popcorn fun movie but every time I watch it I like it less and less. The "USA, USA , our president will save the day" stuff is just nauseating and the pompous soundtrack..and will fucking smith

gah

shite
Only came out 2 months after the last episode of the Fresh Prince.

Bit mad really.
Fresh+Prince+Season+6.jpg

gah

shite
a horrible shit movie

How I Live Now

Probably shouldn't read the spoilers unless you've seen it, short review: I liked it.

This is the sort of film that should have nothing revealed in the trailer. It starts off with a slightly disturbed, bratty American teen touching down in a vaguely next week England. Your first clue that anything is awry is the heightened airport security. Her cousins live in a delightfully shambolic house, in a delightfully dated bucolic setting where long summer days are spent down fishing or swimming in the river, or dressing up the dog. Very shortly things turn a bit pear shaped. The main character's aunt, the English kids' mum, rushes off to Geneva on some geopolitical business. While she's away the shit hits the fan. I promise I won't just write a synopsis of the whole film.

A few things occurred to me. It became clear from early on that the author of the book upon which this is based came of age during the Cold War, although the book was written this century. The premise seemed very much dependent on the Cold War going hot. With very little tweaking this film almost could have been set in the 1970s or early 1980s. I'm going to guess the author had the story gestating for a long time and history overtook her story.

As it is, more or less, set in present day England the turn of events that befall the characters are utterly implausible, unrealistic, but fuck it like, it's a movie. The movie makers seemed to me to be transposing goings-on in the Yugoslav Civil War, Syria, Libya, Iraq, etc. to England, with an added dash of post 9/11 anti-terrorist/brown people-ness. Again the level to which all of this is taken is implausible but hey again it's a movie. Ironically, considering my criticism above, the film is, to my mind, saved by its unflinching following through on the ridiculous premise. The group are split up and attempt to get back to their idyll. On the way they encounter war crimes galore, some pretty graphically presented. It's when the film turns away from suggestions of society turned upside-down by war to graphically portraying it that the film really finds its bite.

I wonder though what the audience is meant to be for a film like this. It's a teen romance arc-welded on to a meditation on survival and the suffering, brutality, and loss that war entails. The main characters are all 16 and younger but the film is rated 15. That suggests a narrow enough direct audience of 15-17 year olds. I don't know if many kids under 15 watched it but there's some heavy enough shit in it. Flip side is do many long since grown adults wanna watch teenagers enact such a traumatic arc?

As far as downsides go, they mainly relate to the aforementioned unrealistic, or at least anachronistic premise. Certain things just don't make sense and are not really explained, although that could be a strength arguably. Some of the main protagonist's actions in light of what she has witnessed ring false to me. Also, the England depicted is expansively, almost oppressively rural so while the story is ostensibly set now, it avoids now when it can. As much as I liked the film, I couldn't shake the feeling that it begged to be set in an earlier period. And for a really stupid minor nitpick, how does Saoirse Ronan's hair remain perfectly dyed/styled through her horrendous ordeal?

Saw the raid 2, didn't feel as long as it was. Plot was not great, and some of the non fight scenes looked like the crappy bits from the non-music parts of music videos.

But when it got going, fucking hell. Usually when I'm watching movie violence my brain knows that it's not real so I'm a bit detached from it, as opposed to if I'm watching a football match and someone breaks a leg or a documentary and it shows someone actually being killed, I'll wince or be shocked then, there were a few points during this where I got that same sensation.

Hammer girl, fucking hell.

Gareth Evans could be the best second unit director ever.

The Stone Roses documentary on Channel 4. It was alright.
I would have liked something with each of the members, what life had been like in the years after the split ect...but maybe that was too invasive.

Layer Cake.. on RTE.

British crime flick from a few years ago. Lots of twists and turns. Strong Irish cast.
It was all a bit Lock Stock' but good craic all the same.

Most amusing moment was an Irish "junkie" referring to an overdose victim - "he always was a greedy fucker" in a strong angry Dublin accent.

tumblr_lcdcosAHS71qakglxo1_400.jpg

Heat............ for the upteenth time.

First saw it in 1995. By this stage, I should be watching it with the son I never had.
Do Dads still do that? Watch grown up movies with their teenage sons?

Always liked the scene on now, where Vincent Hanna cops on what Neil McCauley's gang are "lookin at".

Gettin late though. Might go to bed

vlcsnap-90461.png

Heat............ for the upteenth time.

First saw it in 1995. By this stage, I should be watching it with the son I never had.
Do Dads still do that? Watch grown up movies with their teenage sons?

Always liked the scene on now, where Vincent Hanna cops on what Neil McCauley's gang are "lookin at".

Gettin late though. Might go to bed

vlcsnap-90461.png
My dad took me to see it when I was 14

Mistaken for Strangers - amusing road movie documentary made by the brother of the singer from The National, in which he tours with them for several months ostensibly as their roadie. He's a goofball manchild metal head who doesn't like their music and the film's really about the relationship between him and his much more successful brother. Funny and kind of touching, not massively substantial but a pleasant enough hour and a half.

Mistaken for Strangers - amusing road movie documentary made by the brother of the singer from The National, in which he tours with them for several months ostensibly as their roadie. He's a goofball manchild metal head who doesn't like their music and the film's really about the relationship between him and his much more successful brother. Funny and kind of touching, not massively substantial but a pleasant enough hour and a half.

I love the interviews in that with the Dessner twins, they seem endlessly patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back