Mad Men Season 7 - EXPECT SPOILERS (1 Viewer)

Huh?
The Dawn/Shirley joke is great.

Should have been clearer, the joke is fantastic, subtle commentary, but I was reading other discussions and viewers mixed up the two characters, even though Dawn has been in the series for a few years and has a different hairstyle, and way of talking to Shirley, plus apart from being black, they don't look much alike.

A bit surprised that a not insignificant chunk of the audience couldn't tell Dawn and Shirley apart.
Is the joke not that their co-workers see them as "the black ones" and therefore their identities are interchangeable ? i.e a gag about race and identity in the 1960s rather than a fourth wall gag implicating the audience ?

Anyway i didn't notice it until my girlfriend pointed it out so I'm either terrible with names or a racist.

I get the joke. I was commenting on the fact that viewers (not the fictional coworkers they were mocking by doing the name switcheroo) couldn't tell them apart either.

I get the joke. I was commenting on the fact that viewers (not the fictional coworkers they were mocking by doing the name switcheroo) couldn't tell them apart either.
Which viewers are these ? To be fair Peggy's secretary Shirley (? I really am terrible with names) is only in it a few times whereas Dawn has been a fixture for a while.

Is the joke not that their co-workers see them as "the black ones" and therefore their identities are interchangeable ? i.e a gag about race and identity in the 1960s rather than a fourth wall gag implicating the audience ?

Anyway i didn't notice it until my girlfriend pointed it out so I'm either terrible with names or a racist.

Yes, it's not a joke involving the audience. It's showing two co-workers dealing with they-all-look-the-same-to-me treatment with a bit of humour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back