Need Help with Linux Debian (1 Viewer)

Ferox13

I have a Laptop that I use for torrents and sharing my music over my network.
It was running XP but I wanted to change that since XP is no longer supported by MS.

I thought it was a good opportunity to try out Linux. So I installed 'Linux Mint Debian Edition with Cinnamon Desktop' on it. Its up and running, on the network etc.

The problem I have though is that I can't share the external HD that is attached to the laptop vis USB - I have no problems sharing folders on the C Drive but when other Windows computers on the network try to access shared folders on the External Drive I get an error saying they don't have permission (even though I set the permisssions to Read/Write for guest).

I am a complete noob with this OS - any ideas?

thanks in advance.

I'm not really well up on sharing directories between linux and windows - my first thought would have been read permissions on the target directory on your drive, but you seem to gave addressed this already, by which I assume you chmod o+r the target directory or similar.

Actually, I just realised... it's not clear to me what the external drive's formatting is.

how did you share the root (C) directory?

sharing on UNIX involves more than changing the permissions of a directory. If you did it via dfshare or something similar then you have to specify the priveleges at share time.

With Mint Debian, it was pretty much like Windows - after I shared it a pop up then asked did I want to add the permissions for it...

In the end I set up Win 7 on the laptop and it worked fined - I hadn't the time (or patience) to get my head around SAMBA at the moment.

Iwill give Linux another try at some stage.

Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back