new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

Bullshit. Just total bullshit. The idea that Hillsborough is remembered while Heysel is unjustly forgotten is a pernicious piece of stupidity circulated by fools and, more disturbingly, by those who happily blamed Liverpool supporters for their own deaths for so long and now need to save face.

The idiots responsible for Heysel were arrested and prosecuted. 27 thugs were extradited from England to Belgium, 14 of them convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to three years imprisonment after due process.

A Belgian judge published a public inquiry into the disaster 18 months after it happened, placing some blame on the police and authorities, as well as the rioting supporters. Police Captain John Mahieu who had been responsible for the stadium security was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter.

By that point, Thatcher had already leaned on UEFA to ban English clubs from European competition, which they did 'for an indefinite period'.

At Hillsborough... well, at least these days there's no need to argue. The reason it is such a huge thing for the club and for the whole city is not simply because so many were killed. It is because it was covered up. Unlike Heysel, the authorities were solely to blame. And unlike Heysel, they did everything they could to make sure it was the supporters and, by extension, the whole city that took the blame and that suffered 23 years of anguish while those responsible kept silent.

I was incredibly lucky to have been lectured and tutored as an undergraduate by Professor Phil Scraton, who authored the report, when he joined QUB ten years ago, so I've heard a lot of this delivered with authority and anger, and so I take it all a bit too seriously, but it is important.

Bullshit. Just total bullshit. The idea that Hillsborough is remembered while Heysel is unjustly forgotten is a pernicious piece of stupidity circulated by fools and, more disturbingly, by those who happily blamed Liverpool supporters for their own deaths for so long and now need to save face.

The idiots responsible for Heysel were arrested and prosecuted. 27 thugs were extradited from England to Belgium, 14 of them convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to three years imprisonment after due process.

A Belgian judge published a public inquiry into the disaster 18 months after it happened, placing some blame on the police and authorities, as well as the rioting supporters. Police Captain John Mahieu who had been responsible for the stadium security was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter.

By that point, Thatcher had already leaned on UEFA to ban English clubs from European competition, which they did 'for an indefinite period'.

At Hillsborough... well, at least these days there's no need to argue. The reason it is such a huge thing for the club and for the whole city is not simply because so many were killed. It is because it was covered up. Unlike Heysel, the authorities were solely to blame. And unlike Heysel, they did everything they could to make sure it was the supporters and, by extension, the whole city that took the blame and that suffered 23 years of anguish while those responsible kept silent.

I was incredibly lucky to have been lectured and tutored as an undergraduate by Professor Phil Scraton, who authored the report, when he joined QUB ten years ago, so I've heard a lot of this delivered with authority and anger, and so I take it all a bit too seriously, but it is important.

The comparison I'm making between the two are that people went to a football match and died, and regardless of the circumstances of their death, that's a tragedy.

It's 30 years next year. That's a bit of a biggie. Be nice if they had a special day to commemorate it. They're big enough to tweet bollocks about Munich. Hopefully we'll have a bit of photoshop remembering some other people who just wanted to enjoy a footy match. That's all.

Yeah, the only comparison I would attempt to make is that people went to see a game and never came home, and LFC fans know better than most how that feels.

This guy featured massively in the doco last night. A dogged motherfucker. He tracks the lies all the way from the day itself to today.
Probably not an exaggeration to say we wouldn't be where we are now were it not for this guy's tenacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back