The Gareth Brooks thread (2 Viewers)

Absolutely..it's an experience entirely devoid of 'cool'.. like the audience in Winning Streak or the Pope in the Phoenix Park

It's refreshing but I reserve the right to patronise them because I don't live in the sticks any more and I'm too sophisticated these days.

Don't you live in Kildare or something?

You're not here to experience the levels of hysteria that has captivated the nation. This isn't just a series of gigs it's the cultural event of a lifetime

Or so one would think

You're not here to experience the levels of hysteria that has captivated the nation. This isn't just a series of gigs it's the cultural event of a lifetime

Or so one would think

It seems to be a lot of snotty "Who are all these unsophisticated rubes going to see this has-been hick?"

That said, yeah I am far away. Just going by Twitter and Irish Times.

I think it's tongue in cheek to a fair extent.

Those of us who pride ourselves on our pompous urban elitism have some difficulty getting our heads around the staggering popularity of Brooks. Indeed, the planet teems with puzzling phenomena rarely discussed in the places where tapenade is eaten to the strains of Arcade Fire.

I'm surprised Gareth Brooks is famous enough to sell out Croke Park 3 times over in few hours. If that's ok by you pricks?

Jeez you act cynical you get in trouble, you act surprised you get in trouble...

Let's all agree that no one is allowed to say anything snotty about Mr Brooks' fanbase

Leave the holier than thou bitching for the Mrs Browns Boys thread

what a shower of fucking morons ha?? I'd love to kill them.

I'm surprised Gareth Brooks is famous enough to sell out Croke Park 3 times over in few hours. If that's ok by you pricks?

Jeez you act cynical you get in trouble, you act surprised you get in trouble...

Well he was fairly big here in the 90's you had that whole line dancing craze going on.

What's your favourite Garth Brooks album? I couldn't name a song by him.

Madonna has sold about 100 million more records than Garth Brooks and she couldn't even half sell out Croke Park. It's surprising how well this concert has sold here.

Mind you her tickets were also massively expensive so it probably makes sense.

What's your favourite Garth Brooks album? I couldn't name a song by him.

Madonna has sold about 100 million more records than Garth Brooks and she couldn't even half sell out Croke Park. It's surprising how well this concert has sold here.

I don't know any One Direction songs but I know they are a massive band.
I don't even know the difference between Westlife and Boyzone, but I know they sell well.
Same way I know Garth Brooks is huge.
In the US only Elvis and the Beatles have sold more. He is a massive artist.

He's always a big draw in Ireland - didn't he sell out Croker three-in-a-row before? There's a connection.
And it's been forever since he played too, so there is pent-up demand up the wazoo.

So when I read he'd shipped oodles of box sets last year I thought "Garth's still got it, it seems"
Same with these Croker gigs. "Still got it."

I am older though, so I remember all the hoopla the first time. And how big he was in the 90s and all that Chris Gaines bullshit. So that could be it too.

Grand, so he's up there with Boyzone and Westlife. We're well within our rights to laugh at the people going to the gigs then.

Probably should mention I saw Take That twice in Croke Park. They were very, very excellent the first time and a bit rubbish the second time. Full of unsophisticated rubes both times though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back