Things I should have known before now... (3 Viewers)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
I feel dumb for not knowing this...

"In English the country is called 'the Netherlands' (or frequently - but inaccurately - 'Holland'), while the people and the language are called 'Dutch'.

In many languages, 'Holland' (Hollande, Holanda etc.) is a common name for the Netherlands as a whole. Even the Dutch use this sometimes. Strictly speaking, Holland is only the central-western region of the country comprising two of the twelve provinces, North Holland and South Holland. "

Not unlike I thought New Zealand was above Australia because on maps it was always in a box to the side to 'fit' on the page. I learned this from a shower curtain a house mate had. I'm not helping the 'Americans are stupid' stereotype.

he is a bad man

Drugs-baron-convicted-of--006.jpg

I feel dumb for not knowing this...

"In English the country is called 'the Netherlands' (or frequently - but inaccurately - 'Holland'), while the people and the language are called 'Dutch'.

In many languages, 'Holland' (Hollande, Holanda etc.) is a common name for the Netherlands as a whole. Even the Dutch use this sometimes. Strictly speaking, Holland is only the central-western region of the country comprising two of the twelve provinces, North Holland and South Holland. "

Not unlike I thought New Zealand was above Australia because on maps it was always in a box to the side to 'fit' on the page. I learned this from a shower curtain a house mate had. I'm not helping the 'Americans are stupid' stereotype.

look, its my surname. the amount of people who dont know that is amazing. you can pull a string on my back and i'll explain that to anyone.

Pineapples don't grow on trees. Only found that out a while ago and it blew my tiny little mind. I knew the Dutch thing though cos I've got an unhealthy fixation with geographical nomenclature.

Better.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pineapples don't grow on trees. Only found that out a while ago and it blew my tiny little mind.

I've only just found this out from you! Fucking hell! I only recently found out that peanuts grow underground. Also, I always thought that the Black Hole of Calcutta was just a turn of phrase and not an actual hole.

I thought it was the other way around, like Holland was the country and 'The Netherlands" was a district in Holland. The New Zealand thing really blew my mind, especially since I learned it from a fucking shower curtain. Then again, I'm also the girl who always thought 'go-karting' was 'goatcarting'. Seriously not helping the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back