Send free text messages from any PC using JSMS. (1 Viewer)

The JSMS Team

Website
jsmsirl.sourceforge.net
Hey Folks,

For any of you using your mobile phones with Vodafone Ireland, O2 Ireland or Meteor Ireland, you can now send free text messages right from your PC desktop.

The tool you need is called JSMS. It'is written in Java and thus should work from any type of PC, e.g. Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

JSMS works by using the free credits that your mobile operator allows you to use on their website every month. However, JSMS provides much more functionality than the websites do and is infinitely quicker to use to send a message. It features a real time spell checker (supporting hundreds of languages), group texts, spanning a message across multiple texts, plus much more.

We hope to provide support for other text message gateways as time goes on.

We already have a very large user base, so the application is constantly being tested and improved.

JSMS is 100% open source and we do everything possible to protect your privacy. The source code is all written in Java and is freely available on our project website.

Check it out at http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net or http://jsmsirl.sf.net.

Enjoy!

jsms rules. i use it a lot..
Glad you find it useful dude - check out version 4.0.0 - we released it this week - I think you'll like the improvements (we do anyway!)

Plus, once you install 4.0.0, you should never need to visit our website to upgrade again - it should all happen automatically from then on!

Enjoy!

Must check it out!

ive being using a similar program called Multitext by some dude on boards.ie upto now, which is discontinued.

But some guy hex edited it and it still works.

Cant wait to try out your program, nice one!

ive being using a similar program called Multitext by some dude on boards.ie upto now, which is discontinued.

Nice one! I've heard of multitext, but hadn't realised that it was still running - last I'd heard was when it had stopped working after being discontinued! Yes - JSMS works in a similar way.

One thing of note - I'm not sure how multitext operates, but JSMS does NOT send your messages to a third party server, so you don't have to worry about them being picked up or changed by somebody else. It simply sends them directly to your mobile operator using SSL secured HTTP connections.

JSMS is fairly feature rich at this stage and we already have lots of ideas for more features. Post back and let us know what you think of it.

Enjoy!

Nice one! I've heard of multitext, but hadn't realised that it was still running - last I'd heard was when it had stopped working after being discontinued! Yes - JSMS works in a similar way.

One thing of note - I'm not sure how multitext operates, but JSMS does NOT send your messages to a third party server, so you don't have to worry about them being picked up or changed by somebody else. It simply sends them directly to your mobile operator using SSL secured HTTP connections.

JSMS is fairly feature rich at this stage and we already have lots of ideas for more features. Post back and let us know what you think of it.

Enjoy!

If you could select multiple recipients by ctrl clicking on the contacts list - that would be good.

(handy bit of kit BTW)

but can't you just use the o2 and vodafone websites to send webtext? 250 a month free.

and you can send to multiple recipients.

I've been using it for a while now, really handy. I used to use the KDE variant (ksms?) a few years back. Did you work on that as well? I know it was just a front ends for the old sms perl script.

but can't you just use the o2 and vodafone websites to send webtext? 250 a month free.
That's exactly what JSMS does - it logs into their website using your username and password and sends the message for you. However, JSMS can do it much quicker and easier than you can from a web browser because you don't have to navigate through the website and it doesn't have to download all of the images and other crap on the website. And if you leave JSMS running on your PC you can simply send a text at the click of a button.

and you can send to multiple recipients.

As you can with JSMS. To do it, go to the phone book and create a "group" and then send the message to the group. In a future release, we'll look into letting you directly select the users to send to, but at the moment that would require a good few changes to our User Interface.

Here's a few more benefits that we feel JSMS offers you:

* JSMS supports sending text messages larger than 160 bytes in size. The websites do not.

* JSMS can spellcheck your texts for you as you type and/or before sending them. It support hundreds of languages.

* JSMS can be used to send texts from your workplace without having the website visible on your screen to prying eyes who'd much prefer you weren't spending your time sending texts!
wink.gif

* The phone book can be split into sections to help you find more commonly used contacts quicker.

* You can easily create groups from your phone book to send texts to.

* Multiple users can use JSMS - each can have his/her own phone books and preferences.

* Text's can be sent from the command line -- especially useful if you want to be able to send yourself a message after a script or batch process completes...

* JSMS runs on any PC Operating System that supports Java...

I've been using it for a while now, really handy. I used to use the KDE variant (ksms?) a few years back. Did you work on that as well? I know it was just a front ends for the old sms perl script.

No - that wasn't us... There were a few perl script solutions around in the past alright, but most of them don't seem to be supported anymore.

Plus, a lot of the scripted solutions used to send your messages via a third party server. Security conscious people may not be comfortable with that. JSMS only sends messages directly to your operator and it uses SSL technology to keep them both private and secure from interference.

yo i just downloaded the latest one..
is there not an option anymore to pull your phonebook from the meteor site?

i dont think id be arsed retyping ALL my contacts just to use it...

any UK equivalent?

vodafone uk dont have webtexts. wankers. or at least, I cant find them

I don't know of any, but in theory support for UK operators could be added (assuming we had a phone number and PIN for that service). It's all down to how much demand there'd be for us to spend time on it...

vodafone uk dont have webtexts. wankers.
As far as I know, O2 UK don't either...

yo i just downloaded the latest one..
is there not an option anymore to pull your phonebook from the meteor site?

Not in the current release. Meteor completely reimplemented their phonebook and we never got time to update JSMS to be able to download the new format. It's a feature that's on our list to add back in.

i dont think id be arsed retyping ALL my contacts just to use it...

We can probably help you out there. I can give you instructions on how to do it or even help you do it. Mail us at [email protected] and we can sort it out.

And if you were previously running an old version of JSMS that downloaded the contacts for you, then that might make it easier for us to do again.

Some guy on the forum hex edited the program after it was discontinued, and uploaded it.
Totally unofficial fix that may have being sneered at by the people that created it.

Anyways i tried out your program and its very very nice indeed.

Then dictionary is a really cool feature!
Only thing i didnt like is the tag at the end of each text for the site, but i guess ye gotta promote it somehow.

I have a recommendation for the phonebook.

It would be nice to copy and paste numbers from the phonebooks on the service providers website into yours and have them work immediatly, without having to change the format.

I.e a copy and paste from my o2 phonebook appears like this:

David 0861234567 edit
John Walsh 08712345678 edit

You can get rid of " edit" by doing an add and replace in notepad easily.

I was wondering if you could change the format of the phonebook from "Name, Number" to "Name Number".

Of course youll have to code this in a way that JSMS will detect if the space has a number after it.

As in not to confuse it with the space in the name ->
John Walsh.
......^

Would be cool if it could automatically clean up the " edit" part too.

Now as for vodafone and meteor im not sure what format they use, so if ye were really ambitous ye could have a universal phone book format for the 3.

For a free program you really have a professional attitude online!

Anyways i tried out your program and its very very nice indeed.
Cheers mate! We find it useful, and there's so much we can (and hopefully will) do to make it even better.

Then dictionary is a really cool feature!
Ya - I like it too. We uses the openoffice.org dictionaries so we support hundreds of languages out of the box!

Only thing i didnt like is the tag at the end of each text for the site, but i guess ye gotta promote it somehow.
That's exactly what it's for - spreading the name... It only appears if you are sending a multi-sms message (i.e. greater than 160 chars) and only if it fits in the same text...

I have a recommendation for the phonebook.

It would be nice to copy and paste numbers from the phonebooks on the service providers website into yours and have them work immediatly, without having to change the format.
We *do* intend to add in proper functionality to automatically download your contacts from your operators website. Anything else is just a hacked solution to be honest.

As for the format we currently use in JSMS -- it's primitive to say the least -- although it does have the advantage of simplicity! There is a whole lot I'd like to do with it, but
that's way down the priority list at the moment!

Thanks for the kind words and excellent comments - that's exactly why we post on forums like this. Tell your friends about the project if you think they'll find it useful too...

We *do* intend to add in proper functionality to automatically download your contacts from your operators website.

For now people should try messing around in notepad with the Replace function, you can get it into the comma space format with a few tricks.

Thanks for the kind words and excellent comments - that's exactly why we post on forums like this. Tell your friends about the project if you think they'll find it useful too...

No problem man, ive a lot of respect for open source/ freeware developers, ya are trully under-appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back