Official Thumped position on Lisbon (1 Viewer)

How will you vote in Lisbon II: Is That Your Final Answer?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Abstain

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Spoil

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Me. I voted no last and I'll do the same if there's another

I was going to ask Jim to put a word in for me with Andrea but she's getting married to some rich slap head.

I was going to ask Jim to put a word in for me with Andrea but she's getting married to some rich slap head.

declan_ganley_32143t.jpg

?

Pat rabbitte think

Joe Higgins more like ...

Anyway, it's clear from this thread, that the decision on the way to vote should in no way be informed by the actual issues, but rather by an assessment of the personalities of those advocating a vote one way or the other.

isn't Jim Higgins leading the no campaign? And Mary Lou what did you do. And the rest of Shinners. And Patricia McKenna.

which isn't great for pushing that side of the argument.

But then the Edge is part of the Yes campaign.

what to do......

Joe Higgins more like ...

Anyway, it's clear from this thread, that the decision on the way to vote should in no way be informed by the actual issues, but rather by an assessment of the personalities of those advocating a vote one way or the other.

yes. Seeing as most people haven't a clue what its actually about (because no one bothers explaining - and no, I'm not going to read the treaty), thats probably fair enough. And is the intention by the respective campaigns.

The fact that so many people think the current economic situation, in Ireland, is as a direct result of the No to Lisbon result, makes me think it will pass this time.

yes. Seeing as most people haven't a clue what its actually about (because no one bothers explaining - and no, I'm not going to read the treaty), thats probably fair enough. And is the intention by the respective campaigns.

is the treaty not a legal document which would not make sense to the layman? there's plenty of other writings on it for people to inform themselves. that excuse is pretty iffy

I heard Hans-Gert Pöttering on the radio last summer, explaining the Lisbon Treaty, he did it without all of the emotive bollocks that accompanied the campaigns on both sides of the debate. If we could get someone like him involved it would mean people would make more informed decisions, whether they voted yes, or no at least they'd know why!

The fact that so many people think the current economic situation, in Ireland, is as a direct result of the No to Lisbon result, makes me think it will pass this time.
who thinks that? did no-one tell them there's been a bit of an oul global downturn?

I heard Hans-Gert Pöttering on the radio last summer, explaining the Lisbon Treaty, he did it without all of the emotive bollocks that accompanied the campaigns on both sides of the debate. If we could get someone like him involved it would mean people would make more informed decisions, whether they voted yes, or no at least they'd know why!

why cant people just read up on this stuff if "i dont understand" is the stumbling block?

if only someone would invent some way of searching large masses of information

is the treaty not a legal document which would not make sense to the layman? there's plenty of other writings on it for people to inform themselves. that excuse is pretty iffy

are there any produced by people who are not with the Yes or No campaigns that might actually be objective and just state the facts?

I would prefer to stay away from literature that was written/interpreted by someone with an agenda.

thanks.

who thinks that? did no-one tell them there's been a bit of an oul global downturn?
Thankfully nobody I know, but while eavesdropping on buses and in pubs and the like I've heard people saying they're voting yes this time because "Isn't that what killed the Celtic Tiger after the last one?"

why cant people just read up on this stuff if "i dont understand" is the stumbling block?
For the majority of people the Lisbon Treaty is an inaccessible document, due to language etc. EU policy and politics and EU Law are both incredibly dull subjects at the best of times. I had to read the Lisbon Treaty in college, but then I'd probably have read it anyway, but most people won't take the time to do it, it's much easier for them to have someone else explain it.

I voted yes on Maastricht 1 and no the second time around on the basis that I was annoyed that the first vote was ignored.

Even if I had voted yes to Lisbon 1 (which I didn't) I'd be voting no now for the same reason I voted no to Maastricht 2.

For the majority of people the Lisbon Treaty is an inaccessible document, due to language etc. EU policy and politics and EU Law are both incredibly dull subjects at the best of times. I had to read the Lisbon Treaty in college, but then I'd probably have read it anyway, but most people won't take the time to do it, it's much easier for them to have someone else explain it.

i'm pretty sure i said all of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back