Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

If I'm heading into the city, I usually use a bus; I'm very near DCU and we're spoiled for choice with buses, so I rarely cycle in the city.

Wearing a helmet, you'll heat up a little faster too, which can be an issue in the summer. Not a problem if you're hopping in the shower straight after your cycle obviously.

Like I don't give a fuck what people think mostly
But people will not shut the fuck up about helmets to me

And they are a requirement on group rides

Mostly care what the dateable women are thinking cos that affects me in a real way.

It's mostly the hassle of carrying the fucking things around. Like just one more thing to goddamn manage.

Anyways, no questions need answering here. Just me droning on.

If I’m only spinning down to the school or the Indian take away (which is mostly pedestrianised and separate cycle lanes) I don’t but otherwise I do.

My backpack has a little elastic bobbin thing that holds the helmet on the outside of the bag.

Like I don't give a fuck what people think mostly
But people will not shut the fuck up about helmets to me

And they are a requirement on group rides

Mostly care what the dateable women are thinking cos that affects me in a real way.

It's mostly the hassle of carrying the fucking things around. Like just one more thing to goddamn manage.

Anyways, no questions need answering here. Just me droning on.
could be an insurance thing for group rides, if done under the auspices of a club?
group rides can be more mentally demanding (until you're used to them) too; you've to mentally map the other riders as well as the world around you.

could be an insurance thing for group rides, if done under the auspices of a club?
group rides can be more mentally demanding (until you're used to them) too; you've to mentally map the other riders as well as the world around you.
Right
I want to get some decent rides into my legs before even attempting one
This is just a bike shop ride, but cyclists can be judgey fucks. So I'll be hanging with the slow group til I suss out how the land lies.

i've very rarely ridden with groups, the vast majority of my riding is solo. i know a few people like that; a chap i know who cycles the same roads as me, lives 500m away and we've never set out to cycle together; we've bumped into each other a couple of times out on the road though.

i've very rarely ridden with groups, the vast majority of my riding is solo. i know a few people like that; a chap i know who cycles the same roads as me, lives 500m away and we've never set out to cycle together; we've bumped into each other a couple of times out on the road though.
I have this idea that it will make me a better cyclist over distance
I'm more likely to hang with a 17/18mph group than stay with it myself

Same goes for running. Group running makes me better.

Fully loaded with what??

The internet tells me the bike itself is 14kg.

Then i've a U lock, chain lock and the steel rope thing, all the clothes for work, all the food and drink for the day, swimming stuff just in case and some wash bag type stuff for changing.

I was kinda surprised myself I always assumed the whole package would be low 20's.

Do all of you wear helmets?

not constantly, but I always have it with me on the carrier. It depends on how many taxi drivers i expect to be near essentailly.
Putting it on the carrier is a really good early road rage detection system (also driver rules of road knowledge test similar to the brown m&m's one).
A much lower profile helmet is on my shopping list because once you get to putting a bike on a plane, that's 1/3rd of your luggage space gone into mostly air.

If I’m only spinning down to the school or the Indian take away (which is mostly pedestrianised and separate cycle lanes) I don’t but otherwise I do.

My backpack has a little elastic bobbin thing that holds the helmet on the outside of the bag.
Update on this. That was my old backpack, the new one (same brand) doesn’t have it. Clearly I haven’t cycled much since getting it!

I want to get some decent rides into my legs before even attempting one
This is just a bike shop ride, but cyclists can be judgey fucks. So I'll be hanging with the slow group til I suss out how the land lies.
most cyclists i know are quite chilled. they're happy to see like minded people, safety in numbers and all that.

just don't be a half wheeler...

good fuck, driving really *did* get worse in the eight month hiatus i had off the bike.
going up through ballymun, approaching lights which went green, so i accelerated. but the guy in the white van to the right (i was in the bus lane, he was in the normal driving lane) decided 'actually, i want to go left at this junction' and put his indicator on at the very instant he gunned it and swung left. if i'd been two or three metres further up the lane, he'd have hit me.

then, on a winding countryish road, some cunt with an N plate who'd been stuck behind me less than five seconds, decided to overtake into a blind bend, just as a double decker bus appeared round the bend. i'd say he missed it by about a metre.

good fuck, driving really *did* get worse in the eight month hiatus i had off the bike.

Aye. I'm still seeing mad shit and i think i've actually adjusted my riding a bit to avoid it. I noticed this evening that I've slipped into taking the the slightly longer less traffic interfacing route over the past two weeks without even having a conversation with myself about it. This evening was lots of people in two ton SUVs glancing up from their phones occasionally to drive mostly.

These lads are doing a Palestine charity cycle round the country. Been following them, seeing if I can join for a bit if I can
Joined them for a bit today, lovely lads- one of them was in Palestine two weeks ago

going up through ballymun, approaching lights which went green, so i accelerated. but the guy in the white van to the right (i was in the bus lane, he was in the normal driving lane) decided 'actually, i want to go left at this junction' and put his indicator on at the very instant he gunned it and swung left. if i'd been two or three metres further up the lane, he'd have hit me.

then, on a winding countryish road, some cunt with an N plate who'd been stuck behind me less than five seconds, decided to overtake into a blind bend, just as a double decker bus appeared round the bend. i'd say he missed it by about a metre.
Absolutely.

Re: previous chat. I only really cycle to work and back, 5.8km each way. Mostly through Glasnevin and Cabra (in Dublin @ann post ) I always wear a helmet.

The odd time I'm in the middle of a cycle and wondering why if feels so lovely and free, and then realise it's because I've forgotten the helmet. Id go without but I'm too worried of my brain getting rearranged and destroying the family life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back